Leader's Christmas Message 2020

Wirral Borough Council News from wirralview.com
Wirral Council News
Site Helper

Leader's Christmas Message 2020

Post by Wirral Council News » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:06 am

I think the one thing we can all agree on about 2020 is that it is a year than none of us will forget. Not since the Spanish flu in 1918 has a pandemic struck the world in a way that COVID-19 has.

We have seen some incredibly dark days in 2020. We’ve lost 600 of our family and friends since March and there have been 10,000 positive cases identified in the area.

The pandemic and the actions taken to try and keep it under control are still impacting on people in other ways, with many struggling with money worries and maintaining their livelihoods, many suffering with their mental health and being isolated from family and friends, not to mention the effect on people from the many restrictions that have been necessary.

It may be tempting to just write 2020 off altogether, but I want to reflect on the past year and look at some things I think we can recall with pride. The way communities pulled together and supported each other has been remarkable; people’s determination, resilience and generosity has shown through so brightly in 2020.

And whenever people have needed help and support, the council responded – whether it be helping to co-ordinate the provision of emergency food and PPE or swiftly administering financial support to individuals and businesses affected by restrictions.

Temporary and permanent accommodation was found for hundreds of homeless people.

Council staff whose services were affected were redeployed to help provide Covid-related support.

Leisure staff went online to stage thousands of exercise classes, library staff set up a ‘click and collect’ service.

Essential services such as waste collections, roads and grounds maintenance, social care and schooling have carried on, embracing the adaptations that have had to be made to address a range of challenges.

The effective vaccines now in circulation will hopefully help us to return to a way of life we are more familiar with some time in 2021, able to spend time with those we love.

As we look forward to what will be a very different festive period, we should look further into the future as well - to longer-term challenges and opportunities that will come as we try to return to that normality.

With infection rates rising again, we must still remain careful and vigilant to protect each other but, for now, I want to pass on my very best wishes of the season to everyone – have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cllr Janette Williamson, Leader of Wirral Council

Read full article:- http://wirralview.com/covid-19-news/lea ... ssage-2020

Published by Wirral Council News on Wed, 23 Dec 2020 www.wirral.gov.uk