Hoylake beach decision upheld after call-in hearing

Wirral Borough Council News from wirralview.com
Wirral Council News
Site Helper

Hoylake beach decision upheld after call-in hearing

Post by Wirral Council News » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:36 am

Last Friday evening, elected representatives on the Environment and Overview scrutiny committee evaluated the call-in of a decision made in March about the management of Hoylake beach.

Cllr Liz Grey, Cabinet member for Environment and Climate Emergency, said: “The management of Hoylake beach is a complex, sensitive and important issue and one which divides opinion. What is not in doubt is that it needs a long-term plan, developed with the co-operation of residents, elected members and all the key stakeholders.

“Most importantly, it needs to meet the requirements of Natural England, who are the regulatory body for areas that are designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest, Special Areas of Conservation, Special Protection Areas and Ramsar sites, all of which apply to Hoylake beach.

“This is why I asked for - and was acting upon - the advice of Natural England in taking the decision in March to introduce interim measures, which include pausing vegetative beach management works, including the spraying of herbicide and mechanical raking, on the beach.

“This would allow for engagement with residents and stakeholders, and independent environmental and scientific studies to be carried out to determine the long-term strategy for the management of Hoylake beach.

“I acknowledge the outcome of the call-over meeting on Friday and I am pleased that we can now progress with this work and look forward to working with stakeholders.”

You can view the full meeting online

Read full article:- http://wirralview.com/news/hoylake-beac ... ll-hearing

Published by Wirral Council News on Tue, 25 Aug 2020 www.wirral.gov.uk