Officially a ‘Plastic Free Community’

Wirral Borough Council News from wirralview.com
Wirral Council News
Site Helper

Officially a ‘Plastic Free Community’

Post by Wirral Council News » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Wirral joins a network of communities, across the UK, leading the way on tackling throw away plastic.

Marine conservation charity, Surfers Against Sewage (SAS), has awarded Wirral with Plastic Free Community status. This status has been granted in recognition of the work it has done to start reducing the impact of single-use plastic on the environment.

Local Regional Rep, Becks Gillmore started the campaign against single use plastic, in June 2018. After running regular beach cleans through SAS, she decided she wanted to drive the campaign to free where she lives from single use plastics.

Becks Gillmore, on recognition from SAS said: "I am absolutely thrilled! Wirral is such a special, unique place."

Registering with the SAS Plastic Free Communities movement, Becks pulled together key organisations and businesses in the town to put in place a five-point plan.

The objectives include; setting up a community steering group, investigating the SAS Plastic Free Schools education programme, getting local council commitment and working with local businesses, organisations and community groups to spread the word and minimise the amount of disposable plastics they use.

Becks refers to why she was so keen to start the campaign: "With Wirral being surrounded by water on three sides I had to take a stand to protect it and run this campaign wholeheartedly; for the love of my hometown, the community and for our precious waters."

Read more about why our North West Rep was so keen to protect out coastal environment on the Surfer's Against Sewage website.

Read full article:- http://wirralview.com/news/officially-p ... -community

Published by Wirral Council News on Fri, 14 Jun 2019 www.wirral.gov.uk