Council leader will not seek re-election

News and Talk that is Council related
Wirral Council News
Site Helper

Council leader will not seek re-election

Postby Wirral Council News » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:56 am

Cllr Phil Davies has announced he is retiring from politics and will not seek re-election in next May’s election. Cllr Davies has been a Member of Wirral Council for 28 years, and Leader of the Council for the past seven years.

He said: “Public service is both a duty and a privilege and having served the residents of Birkenhead and Tranmere and being Leader of Wirral Council is something I am extremely grateful for. But now, with three young grandchildren and another on the way, I’m looking forward to spending more time with my family, and hopefully visiting my youngest daughter who now lives in Canada.

“I am proud that under my leadership Wirral was one of the first Councils to pay the Living Wage to all its employees. I am also incredibly proud of achievements such as the Hive, the state-of-the-art youth zone in Birkenhead currently enjoyed by thousands of young people across the borough. I was also pleased when Wirral signed the ethical care charter and developed initiatives such as exempting care leavers from paying Council Tax.

“We are lucky to call Wirral home so I have always given a high priority to showcasing the borough on the national and international stage. High-profile events such as The Open Championship at Royal Liverpool, the Tall Ships, the River of Light fireworks display, and just last week the Giants Spectacular, have all helped put Wirral on the map and attract substantial jobs and investment to our borough.

“Representing the borough also brings more sombre occasions and, during my time as Leader, Wirral Council has honoured those who were so tragically taken from us. I will always recall meeting the family of PC David Phillips who was killed in the line of duty in 2015, and opening the garden of remembrance for the 96 people who lost their lives at the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

“Public service isn’t for everyone, but the chance to make a difference in the lives of our residents is what inspires those who choose to seek office. From my time here members of Wirral Council, irrespective of their political allegiances, have worked extremely hard to improve the quality of life of their constituents and are driven first and foremost by meeting the needs of the communities they represent.

“May I thank everyone for their kindness and support during my three decades of service in Wirral Council. It is an honour to be Leader of the Council and I look forward to watching the progress of the many projects launched during my tenure in office as they come to fruition over the coming months and years.”

Cllr Davies will see out his term of office and a new Council Leader will be appointed following the Local Elections in May 2019.

Read full article http://wirralview.com/news/council-lead ... e-election

Published by Wirral Council News on Wed, 17 Oct 2018 http://www.wirral.gov.uk

Return to “Council Talk”