How was the planning application (APP/17/00306) for a fire station in Saughall Massie decided?

A blog about Wirral Council, Wirral Council's councillors & officers
John Brace Blog Talk
Site Helper

How was the planning application (APP/17/00306) for a fire station in Saughall Massie decided?

Postby John Brace Blog Talk » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Read full article http://johnbrace.com/2017/07/21/how-was ... e-decided/

Published by John Brace Blog on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:51:10 +0000

diggingdeeper
Site Moderator

Re: How was the planning application (APP/17/00306) for a fire station in Saughall Massie decided?

Postby diggingdeeper » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:56 pm

If the council were playing straight, they should put a covenant on the land to restrict its future use, this would protect the greenbelt principal whilst permitting the fire station. I would also hope there is a restoration clause in the contract should the fire service leave the site.

I'm not particularly in favour of greenbelt being developed on but neither am I against this particular case. It greatly upsets me that money is being thrown away in this whole dispute process.

I would have no objection to an increase in the fire service precept to retain a better fire service (including retaining the current stations), however I would like to see some caps on the pay of higher management within the service, it is crazy money at the moment. Ideally the caps would be specified as a ratio of the average wage for the authorities area and be enshrined for a long time.

level80

Re: How was the planning application (APP/17/00306) for a fire station in Saughall Massie decided?

Postby level80 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm

As has been discussed at previous Planning Committee meetings, the Planning Committee ignore covenants when reaching a decision on planning applications.

As it's still in the greenbelt, despite the Planning Committee agreeing to it, it still has to go to the government minister to decide whether or not he wants to call it in (which could delay formal planning permission being granted by a further 6 months based on what happened to a similar application for a fire station in the greenbelt in Cheshire).

There is an increase in the fire precept of just under 2% (which is decided by councillors annually as part of the budget). Any more than that triggers a Merseyside-wide referendum (which Merseyside Fire and Rescue Authority would have to pay the costs of).

Part of the problem for Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service and Merseyside Fire and Rescue Authority is increasing costs (pension costs are going up because of a rise of inflation for example).

Although they do plan to reduce the number of councillors from eighteen to nine and possibly get rid of the Mersyside Fire and Rescue Authority and absorb it into the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority (subject to government approval).

Councillors (including those from Wirral) decided to close West Kirby and Upton (once a new fire station was up and running).

Personally I think West Kirby fire station is going whatever happens.

The policy decision then is where the fire station should be for the combined Upton and West Kirby areas?

First choice was Greasby (ruled out by Wirral Council blocking the land transfer), plan B was Saughall Massie.

Although there are plenty that think plan B should be just to keep Upton.

Return to “John Brace's Blog about Wirral Council Talk”